We are incredibly proud to present the 12th installment of A Handsome Mixtape. They’re all ridiculously talented, unbelievably cool and will have you breaking out your best dance moves in an instant. Read on to see Glenn Be Trippin’s interview…
We’re loving this mix. What was the inspiration behind it?
Sydney cities nightlife. The mix is a step and a hop across Sydney’s many dance floors on a Friday night.
When did you first get the music bug?
My dad was a DJ and I got to go to one of his gigs when I was nine. He left me in the DJ booth for a minute by myself and I nervously stepped up and did my first ever mix in front of a decent size crowd. From there the love for djing just got greater and I haven’t stopped gigging since my early teens.
What music did your parents play?
My mum is a bit of a Beatles nut. So they were on heavy rotation. She had an original pressing of the Beatles “1962 -1966” on red vinyl. I think it’s the coolest vinyl I have ever seen to this day. My dads collection was a lot more varied. He was big into the Clash but being a dj there was always cool music around. Records that I would have left the most scratches all over were probably Arrested Development “Everyday People”, the Prodigy “Experience” and Nirvana “Nevermind”.
Who would you like to play with in the future?
I would love to play a set with Diplo.
What are the shortest shorts you’ve ever worn?
Boringly enough I think my soccer shorts are.
What’s the next big thing in music?
Ren Harvieu and Giselle Rosselli are going to be huge this year.
Any cool collaborations coming up?
Right now I am collaborating with a local DJ Sammy K under the guise of Nuff Jockeys. We are currently working on producing a sound and style of music that we want to play at parties. We should be putting out some tracks in the very near future. We are also working on the live side of things as well, introducing both live performance into our dj sets and live visuals with visual artist Lady Lei.
Is fashion important to music and vice versa?
Definitely. Any pop-star of the superstar status are style icons. Every genre of music has had a fashion style that was as equally important to its fans as much as the music and that has also helped define the image of all the different eras since the seventies.
Do you prefer your ladies in a bikini or a one-piece?
Strapless one piece.
What’s the strangest thing that’s ever happened to you at a gig?
I stupidly played a Rage Against The Machine record at the end of a set and the whole place went berserk. It looked more like a royal rumble than a dance floor but I thought it was just some lighthearted moshing going on. The security and the venue were outraged and ran up to me to change the record right away. A week later a girl came up to me and thanked me for it because it was so much fun but told me that she had accidentally been knocked out on conscious from antics all the in the crowd.
What do you think is the one quality that makes a DJ great?
A great DJ understands the dance floor they are playing too.
How would you describe yourself and your style in three words?
Passionate Music Lover.
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
Always be true to yourself and never give up what you love doing.
Bourbon and Coke.
Mixtape Track List:
1. Justice – On’n’On (Rick Rubin Remix)
2. Greg Wilson – Gotta Keep Working It
3. Bobby Bland – Aint No Love (Mojo Workinz Edit)
4. Michael McDonald – I Keep Forgetting (AC Re-edit)
5. Eli Escobar – Heavenly Break
6. The Beatnuts – Watch Out Now
7. Ohmega Watts – That Sound
8. A Skillz & Krafty Kutz – Tricka Technology
9. Q Tip – Breath & Stop (??? Bootleg Remix)
10. Daft Punk – Highlife (WBBL I Wish Re Rub)
11. Breakbeat Junkies – Front To Back
12. The Golden Filter – Favorite Things
13. Suzanne Kraft – Morning Come
14. Omar ft Stevie Wonder – I’m Feeling You (Henrik Schwarz Remix)
15. Matt Hughes – Mysterious Vibes
16. Coco Vegas – Heartbeat
17. De La Soul – Say No Good (Copy Cats Re-Edit)
18. J-Roc – Nickelodeon
19. Mooqee & Soul – Keep Pounding
20. Johnny Dynell – Jam Hot (40 Thieves Remix)
21. Groove Armada – Drop The Tough (The Twelves Remix)
22. Herbie Hancock – Satrs In Your Eyes (Ivan LP Edit)
23. Talking Heads – Girlfriend (Bitfunk Edit)
24. Treasure Fingures – Lift Me (Gabriell Remix)
25. James Brown – Dead On it (U-Tern Disco Edit)
We would like to send a huge shout out to the incredibly talented Glenn Be Trippin. We are loving this mix, it has been on repeat in our studio from the moment we first heard it. Definitely a WAH fave!